What is Tyrese Gibson’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$6 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Singing, Acting|
|Date of Birth||December 30, 1978|
|Height||5’11 / 180 cm|
|Place of Birth||Watts, Los Angeles, California|
|Partner||Norma Mitchell (m. 2007; div. 2009) |
Samantha Lee Gibson (m. 2017)
The Usual Intro
Tyrese Gibson is an American professional singer and actor best known for his role as “Roman Pearce” in the Fast and Furious movie franchise. While most people recognize him as an actor, his career as a musician is decorated and praiseworthy. He is a six-time Grammy-nominated musical artist whose work has seen high ranks on prominent charts such as Billboard.
Before the Spotlight
Tyrese Darnell Gibson was born in Watts, Los Angeles, California, on December 30, 1978. His father, Tyrone Gibson, abandoned his family in 1983, so Tyrese was raised by his mother alone. He grew up in Los Angeles with three elder siblings – one brother and two sisters.
Later in life, Gibson would credit his mother for her tenacity and toughness in raising four children alone. He also talked about the difficulties he faced in growing up without a father.
Gibson went to Locke High School, where his music teacher nurtured his talent for singing. Recognizing his potential, she advised 16-year-old Gibson to audition for a Coca-Cola commercial. His success at the audition marked the start of his extensive and successful career as a singer.
Contrary to the claims of many resources on the internet, Gibson did not attend Florida A&M University.
The Journey to Success
Gibson’s career began when he appeared as a singer in the 1994 Coca-Cola advertisement. He made a few appearances after the ad, but was signed as a musical artist by RCA Records only in 1998.
Later that year, Gibson released his debut single, “Nobody Else.” It was well-received and ranked at the 36th spot on the Billboard Hot 100. He followed this up with his self-titled debut album, which took 17th place on the Billboard chart – an appreciable achievement for a debut album. The album’s third single, “Sweet Lady,” brought Gibson his first Grammy nomination.
Gibson released his second album, “2000 Watts,” in 2001. It was at this time Gibson landed his first major movie role. In 2004, he signed with J Records and released his third album, “I Wanna Go There,” which included the iconic single, “Just a Baby Boy.” He released his fourth album, “Alter Ego,” in 2006 to milder success. After a temporary hiatus from singing, he released his fourth album, “Open Invitation,” in 2011.
His latest and highest charting album, “Black Rose,” was a collaboration with fellow singers Ginuwine and Tank. The album debuted at first place on the Billboard 200.
In 2003, he became part of the Fast and Furious main cast and made his first appearance in the movie series. His acclaimed performance as “Roman Pearce” established him as a first-class actor and brought him into the mainstream eye. He returned for Fast Five in 2011 and has shown up in all following sequels, with the latest one being 2021’s F9.
While the Fast and Furious franchise continues to be Gibson’s primary source of fame, he is also celebrated for his performances in the Transformers movie series.
Something few people know about Gibson is that he is also a best-selling author. His first book, “How To Get Out Of Your Own Way,” was released in 2012 and obtained the New York Times bestseller status. He also possesses a multi-million dollar real estate portfolio which makes up a large part of his net worth.
The Best Moments
- Landed his first acting/singing role in a Coca-Cola commercial in 1994.
- Made his debut as a musical artist in 1998.
- Appeared on the Fast and Furious 2 in 2003.
- Released the iconic “Just a Baby Boy” in 2006.
- Released his highest-charting album, “Black Rose,” in 2015.
The Private Side
Gibson married Norma Mitchell in 2007. The pair had a daughter that same year, but their relationship didn’t work out, and they divorced merely two years later in 2009.
Gibson married a second time to Samantha Lee in 2017, and they had a daughter the following year. However, this relationship was also short-lived as the two announced their intentions to divorce in 2020 and separated. Although it is not clear if the divorce ever officially took place, they got separated in 2020.
In 2021, Gibson started dating social media personality, Zelie Timothy. The two recently broke up. As of 2022, Gibson is single.
For most of 2017 and 2018, Gibson fought a fierce legal battle over the custody of their daughter against his ex-wife, Norma Mitchell. Mitchell accused Gibson of abusing her and their daughter; however, the court deemed her accusations unfounded. Their legal battles eventually concluded with both parties having joint custody over the child.
Tyrese Gibson’s Related YouTube Video
How Tyrese Gibson Reconnected with Former Rival Dwayne Johnson
Famous Quotes of Tyrese Gibson
Here are a few inspirational quotes from someone who’s made it big:
- “The beautiful thing about my intelligence is that it doesn’t really come in one specific department. So even if something hasn’t happened to me, I have information on how to get you through whatever you may be going through.”
- “You are the master of your environment. You’ve got your own head, your own mind. So once you figure out what you want for yourself, you have to create the proper environment to make sure you can live out all the things you want.”
- “When you step on the treadmill, make a commitment. Do, say, 3 miles a day. And don’t get off until you finish. It doesn’t matter what speed you’re going. Just don’t get off.”
The Social World
Tyrese Gibson is active on social media. Here are the links to his official accounts, along with the number of his current followers:
- YouTube: 700K subscribers.
- Facebook: 39 million followers.
- Instagram: 15.9 million followers.
- Twitter: 2.8 million followers.
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Here are some lessons we can learn from the successful celebrity, actor, and singer – Tyrese Gibson:
- Take your shot. Gibson’s career sprang off of his performance in the 1994 Coca-Cola commercial. He auditioned for the role at the request of his teacher.
- Have commitment and dedication. As seen from the third quote, Gibson believes in seeing things through to the end.
- Make progress. Gibson never stopped trying to raise the bar for himself as an actor, a singer, and a person.
The Unusual Stuff
Here are some interesting facts about Tyrese Gibson that might be new to you:
- Gibson appeared in the People’s magazine “Sexiest Men of the Year” 2000 edition.
- For his role in Fast and Furious 2, Gibson received $750,000.
- In 2017, Gibson announced he was “desperate and broke,” citing child support and legal fees from his then ongoing custody battle as the cause. Surprisingly, he purchased a $4 million property mere months after claiming to be broke.
- Gibson prefers a Grammy to an Oscar. As he said: “Honestly, I would rather get a Grammy than an Oscar.”
Answering Frequent Questions
Where is Tyrese Gibson now?
Gibson resides in his lavish, 25,000-square-foot mansion in Buckhead, Atlanta.
What happened to Tyrese Gibson’s mother?
In February 2022, Gibson’s mother passed away. After being diagnosed with Covid-19, she remained hospitalized for about a week before succumbing to pneumonia. Gibson expressed his heartbreak and sorrow in an Instagram post. He said: “This is the saddest moment of my life.”
Will Tyrese Gibson be in Fast X?
Gibson will return as Roman in Fast X; the movie is expected to release in 2023.
The Closing Remarks
Tyrese Gibson is an American singer and actor who achieved celebrity status by casting a prominent character in the Fast and Furious franchise. In the latest news, he broke up with his influencer girlfriend and went on a ‘rant’ on Instagram. You can expect to see him in the final iteration of the Fast and Furious franchise in 2023.
Featured image credit: Featureflash Photo Agency / Shutterstock.com