What is Tarek El Moussa’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$15 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Real Estate/TV Personality|
|Date of Birth||August 21, 1981|
|Height||1.88 m (6’2”)|
|Place of Birth||Long Beach, California, USA|
|Partner||Heather Rae Young (m. 2021)|
The Usual Intro
Tarek El Moussa is a renowned real estate broker and famous TV personality. He is known for renovating run-down homes and selling them at a significant margin, a process called flipping houses.
Tarek does this on his TV show “Flip or Flop” on HGTV. He starred along with his ex-wife Chistina Haack and ran on air for ten seasons. Developing two types of cancers, Tarek El Moussa shocked the world by becoming cancer-free in 2019.
Before the Spotlight
Tarek El Moussa was born on August 21, 1981, in Long Beach, California, USA. Since childhood, El Moussa was ambitious about business. After finishing high school, he got a real estate license after he turned 21.
El Moussa started buying old houses at auctions, renovated them, and sold them at a mark-up. He quickly established a remunerative business with his then-wife, Christina Haack. Their business suffered huge losses during the 2008 economic crisis. The couple left their luxurious house and moved into a $700 monthly-rent apartment.
The Journey to Success
Tarek El Moussa ran an affluent real estate business throughout the 2008 to 2011 economic depression. The couple continued flipping houses in Orange County, California. Tarek El Moussa and his wife ran ‘The El Moussa Group.’ It covered an area with the highest foreclosure rates in the country at that time. El Moussa and his wife flipped their first house in Santa Ana with a third partner and made a profit of $34k, which the three of them split.
In 2011, Tarek El Moussa had an idea of asking his friend to film the entire process of him and his wife renovating a house. He then edited the video and randomly sent it to HGTV as an audition tape. Through a stroke of luck, Tarek El Moussa found himself signing a deal with HGTV for their new show, “Flip or Flop.” The show premiered in April 2013 and displayed the entire process of Tarek El Moussa and Christina bidding on a house, flipping it, and selling it to clients. El Moussa handled the renovation, while Christina was in charge of designing. The couple earned $10,000 per episode during the first season, which skyrocketed to $40,000 per episode by season 3.
After the couple divorced, they continued working on the show together, crediting HGTV for support. The show concluded after ten seasons in 2022. Tarek is currently producing his new show called “Flipping 101 with Tarek El Moussa,” where he mentors other people in the art of flipping houses.
Tarek El Moussa has also starred in other HGTV shows, including “Extra” and “Tarek’s Flip Side,” and has made many other guest appearances.
The Best Moments
- Signed a deal with HGTV for the show “Flip or Flop” (2013)
- Became completely cancer-free (2019)
- Started his own show “Flipping 101 with Tarek” (2021)
- Created his company ‘The El Moussa Group’ with ex-wife Christina Haack
The Private Side
Tarek El Moussa is of Middle Eastern ethnicity as his father is Lebanese and his mother is from Belgium. Even though his parents are divorced, he publicly stated that he regularly meets his parents and is close to them.
Tarek El Moussa was introduced to Christina Haack in the flipping industry and married her in 2009. The couple has two children, Taylor and Brayden. They divorced in 2018, after which ‘The El Moussa Group’ was dissolved and renamed to ‘Tarek and Associates’. Their co-parenting relationship was admired by many fans of the show. Tarek El Moussa married former model Heather Rae Young in 2021.
In 2013, Tarek El Moussa was diagnosed with thyroid and testicular cancer. A professional nurse noticed a lump on El Moussa’s throat during the show. He voiced his concern to the producers, after which Tarek was diagnosed with two types of cancer. He continued to work while battling cancer. Luckily, he was pronounced cancer-free in 2019.
Tarek El Moussa’s Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of Tarek El Moussa
Here are some inspirational quotes about life and health from the real estate guru, Tarek El Moussa:
- “I’m so grateful for my life. I’m healthier than I’ve ever been. I survived cancer twice. My divorce almost killed me and for five or six years of my life, I was a really sick guy and today, I’m just grateful to live and be alive and beat cancer and thrive.”
- “After all the hardships that I’ve experienced, and there are so many ups and downs in life, sometimes having fun is like the best medicine.”
- “For most fans, I think it’s more than just a real estate show. We’ve been doing this for so long. People have watched kids born, people have watched us raise kids, they watched us get divorced, they know us. They’ve been following our lives for almost 10 years. They feel like they’re a part of it, which makes sense.”
The Social World
Here are Tarek El Moussa’s official social media handles, along with the number of his current following:
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Tarek El Moussa’s galvanizing victory over cancer is encouraging for many people. Here are some things we should learn from his journey:
- Things always get better. Tarek El Moussa faced many hardships in his life, including his livelihood falling apart. Despite that, he continued working towards a better future as he believed it would arrive sooner or later.
- Strive to finish what you have started. Even while suffering from cancer, Tarek El Moussa persuaded his show producers to continue with the show. He did not want the show to be canceled mid-way.
- Be open-minded. Tarek has shown humbleness on multiple occasions, and teaches us to take new advice and criticism openly so we can learn as much as possible.
The Unusual Stuff
- Tarek El Moussa had cancer for six seasons during his show “Flip or Flop.”
- Tarek El Moussa met his current wife, Heather Rae Young, when he appeared on the Netflix show “Selling Sunset”.
- Tarek El Moussa bought Heather a Ferrari for her 32nd birthday.
- Tarek El Moussa bought a house in Long Beach for an estimated $7 million.
Answering Frequent Questions
Why did “Flip or Flop” end?
During the filming of the last season, Tarek El Moussa and Christina had a disagreement, causing Tarek to scream at her. The show was called off after its tenth season.
What kind of car does Tarek El Moussa drive?
Tarek El Moussa owns multiple expensive cars, but he stated that his ‘daily driver’ is his GMC Denali Truck.
How much does Tarek El Moussa get paid for Flipping 101?
Tarek El Moussa earns around $50,000 per episode from his show Flipping 101.
The Closing Remarks
The life of Tarek El Moussa is a true display of rigor, but he successfully conquered his goals while subduing the shortcomings of his life. He is much more than a successful real estate agent and a respected celebrity as he managed to recover from one of the deadliest illnesses known to mankind. We can still watch him flipping houses in his several new spin-offs.
Featured image credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com