What is Sushmita Sen’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$12 Million|
|Source of Wealt||Acting, Modeling|
|Date of Birth||November 19, 1975|
|Height||5’7 / 1.71m|
|Place of Birth||Hyderabad, Telangana, India|
The Usual Intro
Sushmita Sen is a 46-year-old Indian actress and model. She is most notably recognized as the first Indian to win the Miss Universe pageant in 1994. She has also been applauded for her roles in movies such as Biwi No.1 and Main Hoon Na.
Before the Spotlight
Sushmita Shubeer Sen was born on November 19, 1975 in Hyderabad in a Bengali Baidya family. Her parents are Shubeer Sen, a retired Indian Air Force Wing Commander, and Subhra Sen, a jewelry designer. Sushmita has a brother named Rajeev Sen.
As a student, Sen went to the Air Force Golden Jubilee Institute in New Delhi and completed her secondary education at St. Ann’s High School in Secunderabad. After high school, she did not pursue higher education.
The Journey to Success
Sushmita began her career as a model, participating in local pageants and contests. In doing so, she eventually won the “Femina Miss India Universe” at the age of 18 and qualified for the 1994 Miss Universe contest. At the event, she cemented her legacy as a legend by winning the whole event and becoming the first-ever Indian to be awarded the title. In 2017, she officially became a judge for the pageant. She sat alongside many greats for the 2016 Miss Universe.
After her modeling career, Sushmita made the switch to acting. She made her debut in the film “Dastak,” released in 1996. Two years later, she appeared in her biggest hit film, “Biwi No.1.” Sushmita’s successful performances helped her win countless awards for this movie.
However, her biggest movie debut came in 2004 when she played the love interest of legendary Indian actor Shah Rukh Khan. Their characters appeared together in the action film “Main Hoon Na.” The movie earned over $4 million worldwide. Some other films she appeared in include Aankhen, Maine Pyar Kyun Kia, and Dulha Mil Gaya.
Sushmita has also been nominated for many awards for her stellar roles in television shows such as “Sirf Tum” and “Filhaal.” Her latest project is Disney Hotstar’s TV Series “Aarya” — she won another Critic’s Choice Award for this show in 2021.
The Best Moments
- Was crowned Femina Miss India in 1994 at age 18
- Became the first Indian to win the Miss Universe pageant in 1994
- Bagged the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actress
- Won Best Actress at the Filmfare OTT Awards for her drama series, “Aarya”
- Her long list of accolades includes 16 wins and 20 award nominations
- Sushmita has collected a total of 5 Best Supporting Actress awards and six other nominations for the same category
The Private Side
Sushmita Sen has been in a long-term relationship with musician Rohman Shawl. They dated for almost three years between 2018 and 2021. After her break up, she started dating renowned businessman and cricket administrator Lalit Modi. This was officially confirmed in July 2022.
Sushmita has adopted two little girls, Renee and Alishah. She adopted her first child, Renee, when she was 24. Currently, Sushmita is battling a rare long-term disorder called Addison’s disease. She has to take steroid drugs daily to manage the illness.
Sushmita Sen’s Related Video
Famous Quotes of Sushmita Sen
- “I am from a middle-class family, and everything I have achieved in life I have only appreciated. I have never gone overboard because I have seen the other side of life. When you have seen the other side of life, you appreciate what you have.”
- “People who try to tackle failure attract failure. The more you indulge in analysis, it gets tougher. So just keep making mistakes and learn.”
- “As a kid, I wanted to do so many different things; I saw my aunt as an air hostess, and then I wanted to be an air hostess. I found it very glamorous, but when I flew for the first time in my life, and I saw how air hostesses have to slog and how they have to work with everybody going ‘ting-ting’ and how they have to keep on running up and down.”
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Sushmita Sen’s record of being the first Indian to model internationally and act in award-winning movies laid the foundations for many actresses of today. Her life story is a lesson to learn from; here are a few of them:
- Dream, believe, and achieve. Sushmita had stated in countless interviews that when she was 14, she would tell herself that she would be very famous. She wanted to be recognized and have an influence on the public. This firm belief in herself helped her achieve her dreams.
- Be realistic. Sushmita is a beauty queen and living her dream. But at the same time, she’s well aware of what is happening around her. Sushmita’s down-to-earth persona and her practical approach to life make her a sensible person.
- Don’t let the smile fade away. The importance of smiling is so great — it affects everyone around you. It generates a feeling of safety and accomplishment. Sushmita has given interviews where she encourages people to always smile, even during hardships, to create a sense of encouragement.
The Unusual Stuff
Here are some unknown facts about the award-winning model/actress Sushmita Sen:
- Sushmita adopted her first child at just 24.
- She founded her charitable foundation “I Am” to educate young girls.
- Sushmita does not follow anyone on her Instagram account.
- The model almost missed the 1994 Beauty Pageant after losing her passport.
- Sushmita won the 1994 Beauty Pageant wearing a local dress from Delhi and her mother’s hand-stitched gloves and socks.
Answering Frequent Questions
When did Sushmita Sen win Miss Universe?
Sushmita Sen won the Miss Universe beauty pageant in 1994. She became the first Indian to do so at the age of just 18.
What disease does Sushmita Sen have?
Sushmita Sen was diagnosed with an illness called Addison’s disease. She revealed this fact to the public in 2014, shocking many fans.
What awards did Sushmita Sen win for Biwi No.1?
Sushmita Sen was nominated a staggering 7 times as the Best Supporting Actress for the hit movie “Biwi No.1.” Sen won 4 of those awards.
The Closing Remarks
Sushmita Sen’s record of winning Miss Universe and some of the biggest Bollywood awards has tons of inspirational lessons for budding actors and models. She has demonstrated her talents by winning many accolades across both industries. Sen continues to reach new heights and grow her net worth of over $12 million.