What is Shaun White’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$65 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Professional Snowboarding, Skateboarding, |
|Date of Birth||September 3, 1986|
|Height||5’8 / 173 cm|
|Place of Birth||San Diego, California|
|Marital Status||Nina Dobrev|
The Usual Intro
Shaun White is a retired professional snowboarder and skateboarder from San Diego, California. He is often hailed as the best snowboarder of all time, and has several noteworthy achievements as a skateboarder.
Shaun White was recently the subject of public attention after he suddenly announced retirement from the competitive scene after the 2022 Winter Olympics.
Before the Spotlight
Shaun Roger White was born on September 3, 1986, in San Diego, California. His mother worked as a waitress and his father was an employee at the San Clementine water department.
When he was born, White was diagnosed with Tetralogy of Fallot, a congenital heart defect. He had to undergo two separate open-heart surgeries before he was an year old. In his early years, White spent much of his life on the road – his family lived in a van, traveling the San Bernandino Mountains.
His family’s mobile lifestyle and constant vicinity to the mountains’ skiing resorts allowed him to practice snowboarding. Shaun’s elder brother, Jesse, already practiced snowboarding at the time, which also encouraged Shaun to enter the sport.
By age 7, White was already playing at a competitive level and had obtained his first sponsor. At age 9, Tony Hawk started mentoring White in skateboarding
The Journey to Success
After being mentored in skateboarding by Tony Hawk at age 9, White began his professional career at age 16. His career in skateboarding was relatively short-lived, however he won several awards, including the title of Action Sports Tour Champion.
White received a significant boost in popularity and success due to his accomplishments as a competitive snowboarder in the Winter Olympics and the Winter X Games. He started participating in the annual Winter X Games in 2002 and has won a medal every year since. White has an impressive 18 X-Games medals to date, 13 of which are gold. He also holds the honor of being the most decorated snowboarder of all time.
White made his Olympic debut in 2006, winning an Olympic gold medal right off the bat. He participated in the next 4 Olympics, with the latest one having taken place in 2022. In 2010, White won his second Olympic gold medal.
Just before the 2018 Olympics, White suffered a severe facial injury. While practicing, his face slammed onto the edge of a halfpipe. He had to get 62 stitches on his face to close up the wounds sustained. However, this setback did not stop him from attending the 2018 Olympics and winning his third gold medal.
After the 2022 Olympics, White publicly announced his retirement from competitive play, although he intends to continue enjoying snowboarding as a sport.
While his salary as a professional snowboarder has been sizeable ($10 million per year, according to some estimates), he has derived a significant portion of his net worth from deals and endorsements with brands such as Red Bull and Ubisoft.
He also has a multimillion-dollar real estate portfolio, a series of video games, and a recently incepted lifestyle brand, Whitespace. White plays the guitar in his rock band Bad Things, and has made several appearances in films over the years.
The Best Moments
- Won a gold medal in halfpipe in his first Olympics (2006).
- Has won 18 total medals in the Winter X Games.
- In 2012, he achieved a perfect score of 100/100 in men’s Snowboard SuperPipe at the Winter X Games, becoming the first person ever to do so.
- Retired in 2022 after the Winter Olympics.
The Private Side
White is currently dating Nina Dobrev and had one confirmed relationship in the past.
He dated vocalist Sarah Barthel from 2013 to 2019. After his separation from Barthel, rumors of him dating Vampire Diaries actress Nina Dobrev started surfacing the internet. They confirmed their relationship in 2020, and they have been together since. White is currently not known to have any children.
In 2012, White was arrested for public intoxication and vandalism. He had gotten drunk at a wedding party. All charges against him were dropped shortly.
In 2016, White was sued for sexual assault by the former drummer of his band, Bad Things. Both parties settled outside of court in 2017, so the case wasn’t pursued any further.
Shaun White’s Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of Shaun White
Shaun White is recognized as the world’s greatest snowboarder – Here’s what he has to say about his profession:
- “We all started snowboarding in the beginning as a family just to be closer together, go on trips. It was our soccer, but instead of Dad yelling at me from the sideline he is there riding with me and hitting the jumps even before I am hitting them.”
- “Skateboarding helps a ton with balance, precision, with air awareness… it gets your senses to be spot-on, and it’s also a great way to take my mind off things.”
- “The hardest thing about skateboarding is consistency: The slightest flick of your foot or gust of wind can send your board flying, so it’s really anybody’s game out there.”
The Social World
Shaun White is active on social media. Here are the links to his official handles, along with the number of followers he currently has:
- Instagram: 2.2 million followers.
- Facebook: 2.2 million followers.
- Twitter: 1.6 million followers.
- YouTube: 24.7K subscribers.
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Here are some success lessons we can learn from the award-winning snowboarder:
- Dedication. White showed up for the 2018 Winter Olympics despite the devastating injuries he suffered to his face.
- Diversify. White derives income from multiple sources, such as endorsements, real estate, his brand, acting, music, and video-game production.
- Start young. White started practicing snowboarding when he was barely a toddler. This allowed him to master his skills at a relatively young age.
- Be competitive. The intense spirit of competition White brings to the game gives him an edge over other top snowboarders.
The Unusual Stuff
Here are some interesting facts about Shaun White that might be new to you:
- Shaun used to go by the nickname “The Flying Tomato” because of his red hair.
- He is the only skater who has successfully landed the infamous Armadillo.
- White voiced the ‘Clueless Smurf’ in The Smurfs 2 (2013).
- Shaun made an appearance in the series “Henry Danger” in 2018.
Answering Frequent Questions
Does Shaun White own a private jet?
Shaun White does own a private jet. He recently took off on his private jet on a trip to Costa Rica.
Where is Shaun White right now?
Shaun White and his girlfriend Nina Dobrev are on vacation to the Maldives as of June 2022.
Why did Shaun White retire?
White announced his retirement immediately after the 2022 Olympics. He mentioned that his unabating knee and back problems were a critical factor in his decision to retire.
The Closing Remarks
White’s professional record in snowboarding and the countless medals he has won speak to his outstanding talent and ability. He recently shocked the world by announcing his sudden retirement from the sport and the young age of 35. Although he won’t be competing anymore, his legacy as a snowboarder will remain. White plans on releasing a documentary of his experience competing in the Olympics later this year.
Featured image credit: Leonard Zhukovsky / Shutterstock.com