What is Nicki Minaj’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$130 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Film and TV appearances, brand partnerships, fragrance releases, music, and record/label management company|
|Date of Birth||December 8, 1982|
|Place of Birth||Born in St.James, Trinidad and Tobago. Raised in Queens, New York, NY.|
|Height||5 Feet 2 inches|
|Family||Father: Robert Maraj (1956–2021), a financial executive and part-time gospel singer. Mother: Carol Maraj, gospel singer and accounting/payroll professional. Siblings: Jelani Mara (older brother), Micaiah Maraj (younger brother), and Ming Maraj (younger sister).|
|Spouse and Children||She is married to her husband, Kenneth Petty. They have one son together.|
The Usual Intro
Dubbed the latest “Queen of Rap,” Nicki Minaj is one of the best-selling music artists selling over 100 million records worldwide. Her energetic flow and bold alter ego are part of her appeal, paired with colorful wigs and a risqué persona.
Minaj attributes her net worth of over $100 million outside of music to being a television personality, actress, and businesswoman throughout the past decade.
It didn’t come easy for the “Do We Have a Problem” rapper. She broke into hip hop despite the music industry’s problem of marginalizing the contributions of women.
Before the Spotlight
Nicki Minaj, original name Onika Tanya Maraj, was born December 8, 1982, in St. James, Trinidad, and Tobago, then moved to Queens, New York, at five years old. She grew up in a troubled home dominated by a violent, drug-addicted father who set the family home on fire in a failed attempt to kill Nicki’s mother.
Those early struggles led Minaj to create fantasies in her head and other creative outlets like writing raps as early as twelve. Then, pursuing acting and singing at New York City’s Fiorello H. LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts.
The Journey to Success
Determined to make it in the music business, Nicki Minaj released three mixtapes between 2007 and 2009. Her big breakthrough came when rapper Lil Wayne discovered her. Lil Wayne appeared on the fifth track entitled “Can’t Stop, Won’t Stop,” Minaj’s first mixtape, Playtime Is Over. She then signed to his record label Young Money Entertainment in 2009.
Minaj rose to fame in 2010 with her debut album, Pink Friday, which topped the U.S. Billboard 200 chart. As the self-proclaimed Harajuku Barbie, her animated persona of accents, colorful costumes, and wigs changed the female rap game and the Hip-Hop industry.
The Young Money Princess continued her reign through the early 2010s and built her fortune touring, film and television, investments, and endorsement deals with brands like Pepsi, Beats By Dre, M·A·C Cosmetics, and more.
The Best Moments
- Enrolled in LaGuardia High School of Music & Art and Performing Arts to pursue acting and singing. (Class of 2000)
- Released mixtape Playtime Is Over (July 2007)
- Released mixtape Sucka Free (2008)
- Released mixtape Beam Me Up Scotty (2009).
- First female artist to sign to Young Money Entertainment record label (2009)
- Rose to fame with debut album, Pink Friday (2010)
- First music artist to have seven songs on Billboard’s Hot 100 at once
- Follow-up album, Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded (2012)
- Third studio album, The Pinkprint (2014)
- Time Magazine’s 100 Most Influential People list (2016)
- Surpassed Aretha Franklin for Most Billboard Hot 100 Hits of Any Female Artist (2017)
- Fourth studio album, Queen (2018)
- Recipient of numerous awards (American Music Awards, BET, Billboard, MTV, etc.)
The Private Side
Nicki Minaj has been in a few high-profile romances since making her hip-hop debut. The “Moment 4 Life” rapper publicly dated Safaree Samuels, Meek Mill, and Nas. She then moved on to marry her former high school sweetheart Kenneth Petty, often criticized for his criminal history. However, Nicki stood by her man and announced in July 2020 via Instagram that she was expecting her first child.
On September 30, 2020, she gave birth to a son, affectionally known as “Papa Bear.” The new mom penned a sweet caption on Instagram thanking her baby boy for “choosing me to be your mama.”
Despite her family bliss, she was met with tragedy when her father, Robert Maraj, 64, died after a fatal hit-and-run accident in February 2021.
UNCUT: The Nicki Minaj Interview With Stephen Colbert
1.) “Life is a movie, but there will never be a sequel.” – Nicki Minaj
2.) “Sometimes you gotta be beauty and a beast.” – Nicki Minaj
3.) “I believe that life is a prize, but to live doesn’t mean you’re alive.” – Nicki Minaj
4.) “You don’t have to feel the need to put somebody down to make yourself feel better.” – Nicki Minaj
5.) “So, my happiness doesn’t come from money or fame. My happiness comes from seeing life without struggle.” – Nicki Minaj
The Social World
Follow Nicki Minaj on social media to see her latest content, followers, and perhaps a glimpse of her “Papa Bear!” Here is a list of accounts to follow:
Tik Tok: @nickiminaj
YouTube: Nicki Minaj
Facebook: Nicki Minaj
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
- Your peace is the most important thing—advice for Women Struggling to Find Their Self-Worth.
- Be unapologetic. A clear message to ask for how much money you deserve.
- Want success? Don’t want fame. You don’t have to be famous to make a difference. After all, “Fame fades. Success can’t.”
- If you don’t have critics, you probably won’t succeed either—Master the art of ignoring the haters and use the adverse reactions as motivation.
The Unusual Stuff
- She was fired from Red Lobster. Before Minaj made it in the music industry, the “Do we have a problem” rapper was a problem as a waitress. She was fired from Red Lobster for being rude to a customer.
- Nicki was in a band before fame. We know she’s better solo, but before Lil’ Wayne discovered her, Nicki joined The Hoodstars in 2004, including her ex-boyfriend and reality star, Safaree Samuels.
- She believes Kim Kardashian blocked a brand collaboration with Kanye. Nicki revealed on the Joe Budden YouTube Channel that she approached rapper Kanye West, 44, for a fashion project but turned it down out of respect for his wife Kim, 41, stating she wouldn’t love that idea.
Answering Frequent Questions
Below are the most frequently asked questions about Nicki Minaj.
She has not received a grammy as of 2022 despite her international success and accolades.
Her best-selling album is PINK FRIDAY, released in 2010, selling over 3,370,000 copies.
Nicki Minaj is Trinidadian. She was born to an Afro-Trinidadian mother and an Indo-Trinidadian father.
The “Barbs” went into a frenzy when Nicki tweeted her retirement announcement in September 2019, but she has since deleted and explained her reasoning and returned to music.
The Closing Remarks
Nicki Minaj built her fortune from a successful rap career and business ventures. Her influence, business acumen, and bold persona make her a force that extends beyond hip-hop. It is no surprise this Queens native is one of the greatest rappers of all time, with a net worth of $130 Million.