What is Michael Blackson’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$3 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Comedy, Acting|
|Date of Birth||November 28, 1972|
|Height||6’1” / 184 cm|
|Place of Birth||Liberia|
The Usual Intro
Michael Blackson is a Ghanaian comedy actor who immigrated to America in the mid-1980s and paved a path for himself in entertainment. With an unfiltered, original, and unique sense of humor, Blackson is one of America’s most successful comedians today. He is best known for playing the Angry African Man in the movie Next Friday (2000).
Before the Spotlight
Jafari Ferguson was born in Liberia on November 28, 1972, to a Liberian mother and a Ghanaian father who used to work at a theater. The identities of his immediate family remain undisclosed.
Blackson and his family moved to the US in the mid-1980s. They initially moved to Newark, New Jersey, but ultimately settled down in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Shortly after, Blackson started working in small-time roles during his teenage years to earn some extra cash.
While working at a Domino’s franchise, a co-worker whom Blackson had befriended advised him to look into comedy as a career.
The Journey to Success
Blackson first tried his hand at standup comedy at age 17 in the local comedy clubs of Philadelphia. The ambitious teenager saw little success at first but was able to use the experience to hone his talents and perfect his craft.
The on-stage experience was just what he needed to shine. By the early 1990s, Blackson was already making waves in the industry. He frequently appeared in comedy concerts and toured all over the US.
Blackson made it big in the 2000s with his role as an Angry African Man in the movie “Next Friday.” This character remains one of Blackson’s most memorable performances to date and is responsible for a lot of the fame and wealth he now possesses.
In 2005, he released his comedy CD “Modasucka: Welcome to America,” and saw great commercial success. He also appeared on several prominent comedy TV series, such as P. Diddy’s “The Bad Boys of Comedy” and “30 Rock.”
After landing a role in the world-famous “Chappelle Show,” Blackson further bolstered his standing as a comedian. This was when he started getting national recognition. In 2007, the blockbuster Repos was released.
Blackson appeared on Shaquille O’Neal’s “Presents All-Star Comedy Jam” in 2011. His latest and most popular recent appearance was in Nick Cannon’s “Wild n Out” TV show from 2017 to 2019.
The Best Moments
- Began doing standup comedy in 1989
- Started going on comedy tours and concerts in 1992
- Played the Angry African Man in Next Friday (2000)
- Appeared as a cast member on Wild N Out seasons 8, 10, 12, and 15
The Private Side
Blackson’s first romantic interest was singer Georgia Reign, but they dated very briefly. He also dated Victoria Kimani, but the two couldn’t maintain a successful relationship either.
Blackson’s third and current public relationship is with Miss Rada. He proposed to her live on The Breakfast Club in 2021. The two apparently have an interesting relationship.
Michael Blackson’s Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of Michael Blackson
A brilliant and witty individual, Blackson is also one of the few unfiltered and uncensored comedians remaining today, as many of them have adopted a milder approach to please a wider audience:
- “If you die in an elevator, be sure to push the Up button.”
- “Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the f**k is the ceiling.”
- “I don’t care how soft ya want comedians to be I’m not changing for no one, I make fun of any and everyone. I know this can never happen to me but I need ya to lighten up Modasuckas.”
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Some lessons we can learn from the top-rated comedian:
- Be original. No one likes unoriginal, repetitive content, especially when it comes to humor. Blackson has been able to stand out in the saturated standup comedy industry because of his originality. As anyone who’s attended his shows will tell you, his jokes have the audience laughing in tears.
- Don’t hold back. While most comedians adapt and soften their approach to comedy, Blackson stays true to his craft. The danger of your jokes coming off as offensive is just a risk you have to take to be genuinely hilarious. Michael understands this and uses it to his advantage.
- Be open to new ideas. Blackson tried standup comedy at the suggestion of a co-worker. At a time when he desperately needed money, he chose to try his hand at something that might not pay out at all. Had he not done so, he wouldn’t be where he is today.
- Don’t let public opinion dictate your actions. For someone who’s on the receiving end of public criticism and hate often, Blackson lives and performs without a care in the world. He soldiers on without giving the haters too much attention.
The Unusual Stuff
Here are some interesting facts about Michael Blackson we bet you didn’t know:
- Blackson has cited Eddie Murphy as his first inspiration.
- He became a US citizen only recently, in November 2021.
- Blackson is NFL player Eli Apple’s uncle.
- He showed up in Akon’s official music video for his song Wakonda (2019).
Answering Frequent Questions
Does Blackson have any children?
He is a father to three sons, but the identities of their mother(s) remain unknown.
Is Blackson retiring?
He intends to branch out into sitcoms and podcasts in the future but will always remain a standup comedian at heart.
Why is Michael Blackson being canceled?
The notorious comedian made a snarky remark regarding basketball player Brittney Griner, who was recently sentenced to 9 years in prison. “When [Brittney] Griner get out I want to be the first one to give her some deek.”
The Closing Remarks
Even though Blackson is a best-in-class comedian, his competence as an actor, producer, and TV show host makes him a multi-talented individual. His latest appearance on Nick Cannon’s Wild n Out has seen him rise once again to the upper echelons of wealth and fame.