What is George Strait’s net worth?
|Net Worth||$300 million|
|Source of Wealth||Recording artist, songwriter, actor, music producer|
|Date of Birth||May 18, 1952|
|Height||5 ft 9 in (1.77 m)|
|Place of Birth||Poteet, Texas|
|Marital Status||Norma Strait (Married)|
The Usual Intro
George Strait is one of the most successful and well-known country music artists of all time and has a net worth of $300 million. His career boasts more than 60 No. 1 hits, and he’s impacted generations of music lovers.
Over the years, more than 100 million music lovers have purchased Strait’s records, and he’s had 13 records reach multi-platinum status. He joined the Country Music Hall of Fame in the early 2000s.
Before the Spotlight
Born in the early 1950s, George Strait began his life working on his family’s cattle ranch in Pearsall, Texas. He had few musical influences as a child and didn’t listen to the radio that often. Although he would eventually become a country music superstar, his first experience playing music was with a rock and roll garage band in high school.
In his teens, Strait loved the Beatles, but he eventually started appreciating early country greats like Merle Haggard and Hank Thompson. He enlisted in the Army after high school and was stationed in Hawaii, where he had his first child with his wife, Norma.
He would achieve the rank of Corporal in the Army and eventually transition to college, graduating with a degree in Agriculture from Southwest Texas State University.
The Journey to Success
Strait’s first band was called Stoney Ridge, but the band never really got off the ground despite finding some popularity in Texas. George didn’t make any money with the band and worked on the ranch to support his family while pursuing music.
It wasn’t until 1981 when he scored a recording contract with MCA and released his first single, “Unwound.” The song was a huge hit and climbed the music charts to number six.
With the success of his first country single, Strait was inspired to release a debut album called “Strait Country.” The album was significant for the industry because it featured a traditional country sound that wasn’t infused with pop like the other country music that was popular at the time.
After releasing a second record in 1982, Strait began performing for audiences, but the tragic death of his daughter in a car accident caused him to pull away from concerts, interviews, and public life just a few years later.
He would spend the rest of the 1980s and 1990s churning out hits through his album sales, but his star power would begin to fade in the early 2000s. He would continue making records for many years, but he would never eclipse the peak of popularity he experienced in the late 20th century.
However, despite the reduction in popularity, he continued to produce well-regarded albums and make millions performing at concerts around the country. He retired from touring in 2014 when his Cowboy Rides Away Tour concluded but decided to return to performing with a tour in 2021.
The Best Moments
- Grew up in the 1950s and 1960s, working on his family’s Texas cattle ranch.
- Joined a rock and roll band in high school but didn’t see serious success with it.
- Eloped with Norma Voss, his high school sweetheart, in 1971 and joined the Army.
- Had two children, George Strait Jr. and Jennifer Strait, who was killed in a car accident in 1986.
- Saw incredible record sales in the 1980s and 1990s with dozens of No. 1 singles & albums.
- Retired from touring in the early-2010s with a record-setting concert but didn’t actually retire.
The Private Side
Strait was married in 1971 to Norma, his high school sweetheart. They had two children named George Strait Jr. and Jennifer Strait.
Unfortunately, his daughter was killed in a car accident, which affected him deeply and caused him to stop touring and giving concerts for many years.
He welcomed a grandson in 2012 when his son and wife Tamara welcomed a baby boy named George Harvey Strait III. A granddaughter would follow in 2016 when Jilliann was born.
George Strait’s Related YouTube Video
Look Inside George Strait’s Legendary Life and Career
Famous Quotes of George Strait
Here are some popular and inspiring quotes from George Strait:
- “I’m glad He had the never while staring into space, to give this universe a time and place.”
- “The almighty dollar and the lust for world wide fame, slowly killed tradition, and for that someone should hang.”
- “In the beginning, I wanted to be successful. I wanted to make and have hit records. And I wanted everything that went along with it.”
The Social World
Here are the social media statistics of George Strait:
- Instagram: 1.4 million followers
- Facebook: 8.3 million followers
- Twitter: 622k followers
- YouTube: 946k followers
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
- You don’t need a big wedding. George Strait eloped with his wife, and they’ve been married for more than 50 years.
- Explore all genres of music. George Strait started playing rock and roll but saw a successful transition to country music.
- Family is more important than a career. George stepped away from performing after his daughter’s death, but his career didn’t end, and he continued to make music.
The Unusual Stuff
- George Strait is a spokesperson for the National Patriot program from Wrangler Jeans, which helps American veterans who have been wounded in action and their families.
- Strait invented the 360-degree approach to concerts that helped him get more people at his shows because the stage was in the center of the stadium rather than the side, where it would take up seating.
- George is good friends with former president George W. Bush and performed at Laura Bush’s 70th birthday party in 2016.
- Strait holds the record for the biggest indoor concert in North America, which happened in 2014 during his farewell concert when 104,793 fans filled AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Answering Frequent Questions
Can George Strait actually play the guitar?
George is an accomplished guitar player and is also known as an excellent piano player.
Did George Strait serve in the military?
Strait enlisted in the Army in 1971 and served until 1975. He would reach the rank of Corporal.
Can you still buy George Strait concert tickets?
Although he retired from touring in 2014, he can’t seem to stay off the stage and regularly gives concerts.
The Closing Remarks
As the “King of Country Music,” George Strait is well-known to his fans and the rest of the world as an excellent performer and creator of memorable country songs. He stands out from his contemporaries for the old-time style of his music, which doesn’t feature pop sounds like most other country stars.
He remains a fan favorite for young and old alike and will likely remain one of the most influential country singers for the foreseeable future. His success has allowed him to gather an immense and healthy fortune of $300 million, which is a testament to his enduring popularity and ability to sell millions of records.
Featured image credit: Kathy Hutchins / Shutterstock.com