What is Doja Cat‘s net worth?
|Net Worth||$8 million|
|Source of Wealth||Singing|
|Date of Birth||October 21, 1995|
|Place of Birth||Los Angeles, California, United States|
The Usual Intro
Amala Ratna Zandile Dlamini, better known by her professional alias Doja Cat, is a 26-year-old American rapper and singer. She is a highly versatile artist who has gained global recognition for her hit albums “Hot Pink” and “Planet Her.” She currently ranks at No. 11 for monthly listeners on Spotify, with over 55 million concurrent.
Before the Spotlight
Amala Dlamini was born on October 21, 1995 to Deborah Sawyer and Dumisani Dlamini. She was born in the Tarzana district of Los Angeles but moved to New York by the age of 5 with her grandmother. Her father was a South African performer and remained distant from her daughter due to his work. Doja has a twin brother named Raman.
At the age of 8, she moved with her mother and brother to the mountains of Santa Monica to practice Hinduism for four years. By high school, she had picked up dancing and wanted to be a performer. She dropped out of her junior year at the age of 16.
The Journey to Success
Doja made her debut in the American underground hip-hop scene in late 2012. She released songs on SoundCloud and was eventually signed by a label in 2014. Soon after, Doja released her first EP, “Purr,” which received no significant success. She went into a creative blockage for a couple of years. Doja returned in 2018 and made her first charting song with “Candy.” She released her debut album “Amala,” which was called a flop.
In August 2018, her career suddenly blew up. She put out a homemade music video called “Mooo!” which went viral all over the internet and gained Doja millions of followers. It also propelled her career, and she finally made her breakthrough with “Hot Pink,” her second album.
It was an instant hit, peaking at No. 9 on the Billboard 200. The single “Say So” became the most played song of 2020 and the first number one single. She won a ton of awards for this album.
By 2021, Doja had worked with Ariana Grande, Megan Thee Stallion, Saweetie, and many more accomplished artists. She cemented her place in the industry with her third album, “Planet Her.” The album broke many records, and the lead single “Kiss Me More” peaked at No. 3. It also broke the record for the most weeks a female collaboration stayed in the top 10.
In December 2021, Doja stated that she was facing burnout from all the press and promotions and took a break from music.
The Best Moments
- Won the Best Pop Duo/Performance Grammy Award in 2022
- Accumulated 5 Billboard Music Awards, 5 American Music Awards, and 3 MTV Video Music Awards
- Has received 11 total nominations at the Grammy Awards
- Has a total of six top 10 songs and her hit “Say So” charted at the top spot for a week
- Broke the Guinness World Record for the First female rap duo to reach No.1 on the US singles chart
The Private Side
Amala is a private person who likes to keep her life and career away from the public eye. She has only been in one public relationship — she dated American artist Jawny till 2020. Even though she has not been public about her sexuality, she has hinted at being bisexual in her songs and interviews.
In 2022, Doja revealed her nicotine addiction to the public and had to undergo tonsil surgery due to excessive vaping.
Doja Cat’s Related Video
Famous Quotes of Doja Cat
- “If your only intent is to be seen, you’ll never be seen. If your intent is to be happy, comfortable, genuine, and true in craft, you’re destined to be noticed.”
- “We should all learn from our experiences, but I don’t think hatred is the best way to deal with ignorance.”
- “Truth is, I love everyone that is a good person regardless of what they look like, walk like, or who they love.”
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Amala’s journey as one of the modern generation’s most versatile and talented artists is quite a story. Here are some lessons to be learned from her:
- Do what makes you happy. Doja has always stated that if she enjoys something, she partakes in it; otherwise, she does not even consider it. “I just like to do the fun stuff. If I’m not having fun with it, I’m not going to do it for the rest of my life.” This ideology remains the greatest source of happiness in her life.
- Intention is key. If someone’s only intention is to be famous or rich, they may not find it as easy as they think. Doja has shown that the industry is quite unforgiving of people like that. She has pushed people to put their work before their wants countless times. You have to be true to your craft to become successful
- Do not look to social media for support. Social media can be a very toxic place. It constantly reminds you of the haters who want to bring you down. This is one of the reasons that Doja barely uses her social media accounts, especially Twitter. She has had several incidents on Twitter where she had heated arguments with users.
The Unusual Stuff
- Doja has cited Niki Minaj as her biggest influence.
- Her childhood has been a mix of Japanese and Hindu cultures due to her time in the Santa Monica mountains.
- Her name “Doja Cat” comes from weed addiction and one of her pet cats.
- She stated that recording her 2nd album inspired her to quit cigarettes and marijuana.
- Amala has tested positive for COVID-19 twice and had to cancel her shows due to it.
Answering Frequent Questions
What race is Doja Cat?
Doja Cat hails from Los Angeles but is a mix of Jewish and South African heritage due to her mother being Ashkenazi Jewish and her father being of Zulu descent and South African.
What happened between Doja Cat and Noah Schnapp?
In July 2022, Doja texted Noah Schnapp to set her up with actor Joseph Quinn. Noah shared these messages in his story, to which Doja replied by calling Noah a weasel and a snake. The pair had a heated argument, and in the end, Noah admitted it was not fair of him to share private conversations.
What does Doja Cat mean?
In an interview, Amala stated that her name was derived from her love for marijuana; Doja is another word for weed. The ‘Cat’ part is about her love for cats.
The Closing Remarks
Doja Cat has been recognized as one of the most adaptable artists of the modern era. Her unprecedented success and $8 million net worth is proof that determination and consistency almost always leads to success. She has shown true character and talent, having cemented her place in the history books as an impeccable performer and entertainer.