How much is DaBaby’s Net Worth?
|Net Worth||$5 million|
|Source of Wealth||Rapping|
|Date of Birth||22 December 1991|
|Height||5’8 / 173cm|
|Place of Birth||Cleveland, Ohio|
The Usual Intro
DaBaby is an American rapper, songwriter, and singer born Jonathan Lyndale Kirk. He started his rapping career in 2015 and has become one of the most successful rappers in the last five years.
He took the internet by storm when a video of him wearing a diaper went viral in 2017 at the South by Southwest Show. His first album, “Baby on Baby,” released in 2019, debuted 7th on the Billboard chart.
Before the Spotlight
Jonathan Lyndale Kirk was born in Cleveland, Ohio, on 22 December 1991. Kirk grew up with two brothers and is the youngest child. In 1999, he moved to Charlotte, North Carolina, and got involved in criminal activities.
He graduated from Julius L. Chambers High School in 2010 and went to the University of North Carolina at Greensboro. Kirk studied for two years and dropped out so he could pursue his passion for music. His favorite artists growing up were Lil Wayne, Eminem, and 50 Cent.
The Journey to Success
DaBaby released his first mixtape, “Nonfiction,” in 2015 to little fanfare. During this period, he released other mixtapes such as God’s Work, Baby Talk, Billion Dollar Baby, and Back On My Baby Jesus Shit which were all well-liked by the critics and gained a positive response. He started performing live concerts the same year, including the “South by Southwest Music Festival,” after which he started to gain a following. To avoid controversy, he changed his name from “Baby Jesus” to “DaBaby.”
DaBaby garnered a massive fan base when he started releasing his tracks on music streaming platforms like SoundCloud. He got his first big break when he signed a deal with Arnold Taylor, president of South Coast Music Group Label, who saw him performing in North Carolina Clubs. With the help of South Coast, DaBaby entered a distribution deal with Roc Nation, Jay-Z’s entertainment company, through which he released his mixtape “Blank, Blank.” The critics loved the mixtape and raised a bidding war among the record labels, resulting in DaBaby signing a 7-figure deal with Interscope.
On March 1, 2019, DaBaby released his debut studio album “Baby on Baby,” which became platinum certified and gained massive success. Its top song, “Suge,” peaked at No. 7 on Billboard Hot 100 in addition to earning him two Grammy Nominations. In 2019, DaBaby released a freestyle in collaboration with the “L.A Leakers,” which was called one of the smoothest freestyle radio listeners had heard.
DaBaby followed up with another album, “Kirk,” just after six months. He titled his album “Kirk” after his father’s last name and used his picture on the cover as a tribute. The album’s singles, Intro, Bop, and Vibez, all topped the Billboard charts and were platinum-certified or higher. DaBaby ended the year on a great note by becoming the artist with the most singles charted on the billboard in 2019.
In 2017, DaBaby started his record label “Billion Dollar Baby Entertainment.” DaBaby has confessed that he plans to leave the rapping industry and become a producer. Currently, four artists have signed up with his label.
On March 4, 2022, DaBaby released a mixtape in collaboration with NBA YoungBoy. The album was hugely successful and bagged the No. 10 spot on the Billboard 200 charts, with more than 29,000 albums sold in the first week.
In November 2018, DaBaby killed a 19-year-old man, Jalan Craig, while shopping in Walmart with his family. DaBaby admitted his involvement and only shot in self-defense. All the serious charges were dropped against him, but he pleaded guilty to carrying a concealed weapon. He was sentenced to one year of unsupervised probation.
In January 2020, DaBaby was arrested and questioned after his crew robbed a man who reportedly owed DaBaby $10,000. His crew stole $80, a credit card, and an iPhone 7 from him. DaBaby was arrested after authorities found he was charged with battery. He was mysteriously released after 48 hours.
In 2020, DaBaby slapped a woman on his way to the stage in “Up Close N Personal Tour.” The crowd booed DaBaby off the stage, and he left without performing a single song. He later apologized in an Instagram video that he couldn’t see anything due to the phone’s flash being too close. Despite being a girl on the receiving end of the slap, he would have reacted the same way.
In July 2021, DaBaby passed some remarks at the Miami Rolling Loud Festival that some believed to be homophobic. Due to this, many of his scheduled appearances were canceled, including iHeartRadio Music Festival, Lollapalooza, Parklife Festival, etc. His collaboration with fashion brand BoohooMan ended too. However, after a few weeks, the brand released his 100-piece summer collection.
The Best Moments
- Nominated for two categories at the 62nd Grammy Awards.
- Won “Top Rap Song” and “Top Streaming Song” in Billboard Music Awards
- Won “Best New Hip-Hop Artist” in BET Hip Hop Awards
- Nominated for “Album of the Year” at the 64th Grammy Awards
- On March 4, 2022, DaBaby released the mixtape “Better Than You” which peaked at No. 10 on Billboard Hot 200.
The Private Side
DaBaby was in a relationship with singer MeMe. The couple has one daughter and a stepson from MeMe’s previous relationship. Jonathan also has a daughter with singer DaniLeigh who was born a few months after the two broke up. He is currently single.
Jonathan’s father died in 2019. He titled his album “Kirk” after his father’s last name and used his picture on the cover as a tribute. His brother died a few months later due to a gunshot wound.
DaBaby’s Related YouTube Video
Famous Quotes of DaBaby
Here are some famous quotes from the Grammy-nominated rapper:
- “You can’t cheat the game. You can’t cheat the grind. You get out what you put in at the end of the day.”
- “People are unpredictable at the end of the day.”
- “I made that a point when I was creating my sound from the beginning, I didn’t want to sound like anybody. Once I kind of found my own sound, I mastered it.”
- “I don’t play the ugly game, I think everyone is beautiful and I see it in me now more and more.”
The Social World
DaBaby is a famous personality on social media, followed by millions worldwide. Here are the links to his official accounts and the current following on each platform:
- Instagram: 21 million followers
- Facebook: 6.5 million followers
- YouTube: 9.64 million followers
- Twitter: 4.5 million followers
- Snapchat: 121k followers
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
Being one of the most successful rappers in recent years, here are some lessons we can learn from DaBaby’s success:
- Determination. DaBaby did not become a celebrity overnight. His first few albums were not well received, and he only gained popularity after being signed by the South Coast Music Group Label.
- You can’t cheat success. As DaBaby said, you cannot cheat success and the grind. You get what you put in.
- Be Original. DaBaby never copied any other artist or their style. Instead, he found his own ‘sound’ and refined it even further.
- Stay Positive. DaBaby is often criticized for creating repetitive tunes and melodies. However, he does not let the criticism get to his head.
The Unusual Stuff
Here are some interesting facts from DaBaby’s early childhood and personal life:
- Kirk did not enjoy school and stated that he only went for his parent’s sake.
- He started his rapping career under the name of “Baby Jesus.”
- Kirk reportedly has a daughter with Latoia Danet, but the two have denied such claims.
- He wore a diaper to “South by Southwest Show.”
Answering Frequent Questions
Why is DaBaby named DaBaby?
He changed his name from ‘Baby Jesus’ to ‘DaBaby’ as he was concerned the name could offend and distract people from his music.
Has DaBaby been arrested?
DaBaby has been arrested on multiple occasions for possession of concealed firearms, driving with a fake license, and possession of drugs.
Who is DaBaby’s wife?
It was rumored that DaBaby was married to Ashley Kirk after his remarks on the yearbook picture went viral. However, he later confirmed that it was a prank.
Was DaBaby born rich?
DaBaby does not belong to a rich background. Most of his wealth comes from album sales.
The Closing Remarks
DaBaby has an expansive career full of achievements, from Grammy Awards to multiple platinum albums. Despite having a rough start, he has proven to be an excellent father to his three children. Kirk continues to launch chart-topping hits and is on his way to becoming one of the best rappers of modern times.