What is Cher’s Net Worth?
|Net Worth||$360 Million|
|Source of Wealth||Singer, Actress|
|Date of Birth||May 20, 1946|
|Height||5’7 / 1.74 meters|
|Place of Birth||El Centro, California|
The Usual Intro
Cher is an American TV personality, singer, and actress. She is a musical and cultural icon with a career spanning six-decades. She is well-known for her contralto singing voice, distinguishing her from the other famous artists in the music industry.
Cher is crowned as “Goddess of Pop.” Thanks to her euphonious singing voice, she has sold over 100 million records, making her an all-time best-selling music artist.
Before the Spotlight
Cher was born in El Centro, California, on May 20, 1946 to John Sarkisian, an Armenian-American truck driver, and Georgia Holt, a former model and an actress.
Cher was only ten months old when her parents divorced. Her mother began working as a waitress and changed her name to Georgia. Georgia was also an actor and found a spot for her daughter in the TV show “The Adventures of Ozzie and Harriet.”
She went through a rough patch during her childhood; her mother remarried many times and moved across the country to find a stable place for them.
Cher was destined to be a celebrity from her early years in school. She was a high scorer and had a creative mindset. A former student reported, “I’ll never forget seeing Cher for the first time. She was so special … She was like a movie star, right then and there….”
The Journey to Success
Her six-decade-long marvelous career began in 1962 when she met Sonny Bono. She initially worked as a housekeeper for him but shortly was introduced to record producer Phil Spector and became his backup singer. Over time, Cher and Sonny developed intimacy and formed a dynamic musical duo “Caesar & Cleo.” Their first classic single, “I Got You Babe,” shot the pair to stardom; it climbed to No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Likewise, their five songs from the studio album “Look at Us” made their way into the Billboard Top 50.
Cher’s bold success wasn’t short-lived; her solo career sky-rocketed her fame. She released numerous albums such as All I Really Want to Do, Chér, and The Sonny Side of Cher. Cher’s single, “Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down),” was marked No. 2 in the US and No. 3 in the UK, becoming her first single to sell over a million copies. Her notable singles include Half-Breed, Dark Lady, and Gypsys Tramps. In 1971, the CBS show “The Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour” amassed 30 Million views during its three-year run.
In 1975, Cher experienced a steady decline in her popularity after her divorce. When she signed a $2.5 Million deal with Warner Bros Records, her album “Stars” was subjected to acute criticism by the public and became a cult classic. She soon threw a massive comeback by signing with Casablanca Records and debuting the album “Take Me Home.” The album received a gold certification by the RIAA and stayed as a best-seller for more than half of 1979!
Cher did not gain mainstream popularity from just her beautiful voice. She did many other remarkable things simultaneously: Cher proved herself to be a talented actress and starred in many films like Moonstruck, The Witches of Eastwick, and Mask. She also made appearances in vast Broadway plays. In 1987, she launched her fragrance “Uninhibited,” which earned her $15 Million in a single year and settled her net worth at a staggering $600 Million in 2002.
The Best Moments
- She is a winner of Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony awards.
- “I Got You Babe” was listed in Rolling Stone’s “500 Greatest Songs Of All Time.”
- “Believe” was voted as the world’s eighth favorite song in a poll by BBC
- Cher received the Woman Of The Year Award at Harvard University.
The Private Side
Cher dated many popular celebrities such as Tom Cruise and Gene Simmons. She married Sonny Bono in 1969 and gave birth to a son “Chaz Bano” who is currently a famous American writer, actor, and musician. Their marriage broke off due to irreconcilable differences.
Four days later, she married Greg Allman. It was short-lived, and they both signed for divorce after nine days. However, they remarried, and Cher had a second son “Elijah Blue,” but soon divorced again.
Cher also actively participates in philanthropic activities. She is a fundraiser and donor for the “Keep a Child Alive” organization to combat the AIDS pandemic. She also provides nutritious food, education, and medical care to the unfortunate children and orphans at the Peace Village School. As part of her environmental campaign, she partnered with Icelandic Glacial and donated 18,000 bottles of water to Flint when the water was found contaminated with lead.
Cher’s Related YouTube Video
Cher on Dating Elvis: ‘I Got Nervous’ (2010 Full Letterman Interview)
Famous Quotes of Cher
Cher has many influential quotes that embellish our lives. Let’s take a glimpse into some of the potent ones:
- “I love having boyfriends. A girl can wait for the right man to come along—but in the meantime, that doesn’t mean she can’t have a wonderful time with all the wrong ones.”
- “Sometimes I don’t tell the truth, which is telling the truth about not telling the truth. I think people don’t tell the truth when they’re afraid that something bad’s going to happen if they tell the truth. I say things all the time that I could really get into trouble for, but they kind of blow over.”
- “When I grew up, it was a time when women were just supposed to be cute and not have many opinions. My mother and her friends were quite different. They were all the most beautiful women you’ve ever seen, and they were very strong women.”
The Social World
Here is a measure of Cher’s immense fame in some statistical terms:
Lessons for Entrepreneurs
- Don’t give up. Cher received sharp criticism from the public for her solo album “Stars.” Despite adversity, she battled all the fuss by releasing a new album that was a breakthrough success.
- Establish new relations. Cher did not make her journey to stardom as a lone ranger. Her major success came from the duo she formed with Sonny Bono. He directed and supported her, which gave Cher exposure to singing.
- Hard Work. Success can never fall into your lap without a constant struggle. From her early years, she dreamed of featuring on TV and made it her life goal. Cher faced a lot of obstacles during her career. She stayed resilient and swinged the pendulum in the opposite direction.
The Unusual Stuff
- Cher never graduated high school because she had dyslexia.
- She’s the only female artist to have number 1 singles in the 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s in the United States.
- Cher and Meryl saved a woman in New York City from getting assaulted.
- She sold over 100 million records worldwide.
Answering Frequent Questions
Was Cher involved in theft?
Being a teenager, Cher was arrested for stealing a car and driving to the drive-in-theater. It was reported that the car was her friend’s who was running an errand.
What did Cher do before her duo with Sonny?
Cher put out a few records before forming the duo with Sonny. In 1964, under the stage name Bonnie Jo Mason, she released “Ringo, I Love You.”
Was there a Cher toy figure?
In the 1970s, a toy company called “Mega” released a doll of Cher. It became widely popular among kids and was the highest-selling doll of 1976.
The Closing Remarks
The goddess of pop continues to take the internet by storm. Today, she still stands as a leading woman figure, having won over 250 industry awards. The multi-talented female icon continues to break records and has been spreading her influence over all aspects of entertainment, besides having a super attractive figure, which gathered her a large fan base.
Featured image credit: Tinseltown / Shutterstock.com